Sildenafil citrate is a chemical compound that is FDA approved for the use of humans to treat various disorders. It is largely popular for the treating erectile dysfunction. Viagra and generic Viagra are the two drugs that make use of Sildenafil citrate to treat erectile dysfunction. Sildenafil citrate can also be used to treat other diseases and also for certain other purposes.
Non Medicinal usage of Sildenafil citrate
- It is used by athletes to enable proper blood flow to their muscles thereby invigorating them during sporting events.
- Following research on hamsters, it was found that a small dosage of Sildenafil enables people to overcome jet lag issues. Jet lags otherwise carries on for 2 to 3 days and hence use of Sildenafil was approved.
- It is also being used by teenagers as a recreational or amusement drug. Teenagers believed that this not only gave a hard on but also a kick. However researchers later on clarified that usage of Sildenafil worked only on people with ED.
Medicinal usage of Sildenafil Citrate
- People suffering from altitude sickness can rely on Sildenafil citrate to treat or prevent their dilemma. It is mostly put into use by mountain climbers or even part time trekkers. It is a widely accepted treatment.
- PAH or pulmonary arterial hypertension can be alleviated by using Sildenafil citrate. Sildenafil accomplishes it by relaxing the arterial walls and thereby enabling it to operate more efficiently. FDA has approved a lower dose of Sildenafil (around 20 mg) for the treatment of PAH.
- Last but certainly not the least Sildenafil citrate is popular in the treatment of erectile dysfunction and also for other forms of male impotence. A special formula of this chemical is also used to treat female impotence. It was an accidental discovery that Sildenafil can also treat ED.